- Karsh Center
THIS YEAR, MORE THAN EVER BEFORE…
When our community faces so many new challenges, the Karsh Center and Wilshire Boulevard Temple are increasing our commitment to our neighbors experiencing hunger and food insecurity. We are going to distribute a total of 1,500 Thanksgiving-meal-bags-for-four (up from the 1000 bags distributed in previous years) helping an estimated 6,000 members of our community experience the nourishment and comfort of a Thanksgiving meal.
Covid-19 has affected everything including the Big Give. As with all of the Karsh Center programs during the pandemic, we will come together in a different way. This year we are committing an entire Big Give Week to giving big and giving thanks.
Each day of Big Give Week will feature a different online gathering, at-home service project, or learning session from a menu of programs that highlights Karsh Center programs and collaborators.
To safely meet this commitment and celebrate our community, we are going to need your help!
- Volunteer and connect from home: We are excited to host a week of online programs for all members of our community to come together to volunteer, advocate, learn, and build community from their own homes. Help make a no-sew blanket, write letters advocating for our neighbors who are unhoused, participate in yoga for mental health and wellness, make pop-up cards for your family members or to go in our Thanksgiving bags, or join us for a community-focused story hour!! These activities are open to all members of our community. More information including sign-up links coming soon.
- Donate and/or sponsor: Preparing 1,500 Big Give bags requires the generous help of donors and sponsors. Click here to learn how you can be one.
- Help spread the word: Do you have a favorite Big Give story or memory? Help us create community from afar and spread the word about the Big Give by sharing a video here of what the Big Give means to you.
- Pick up a grocery bag: Would a Big Give Thanksgiving meal bag help you and/or your family have a meaningful celebration this year? More information coming soon about how to get a ticket from the Karsh Center for a Big Give Thanksgiving meal bag. Check back on this website or call the Karsh Center at (213)401-4651 for more information. Click here for additional information about resources you can access through the Karsh Center.
- Volunteer on-site*: We will host a limited number of in-person, on-site volunteer roles to help prepare and distribute 1,500 Thanksgiving meal bags. To host volunteers safely and within our COVID-19 safety procedures, on-site volunteer shifts will be very limited and take place over the course of several days. More information about specific volunteer roles and sign-up links will be posted here in the coming weeks.
Big Give Week – Let’s Do This!
– COVID-19 On-Site Safety Protocols –
All on-site activities will be conducted according to strict on-site COVID-19 safety protocols, including a requirement to wear a mask while on-site; a limited number of individuals on-site per volunteer shift; wellness screenings prior to arriving and upon arriving at-site; and maintaining adequate physical distance from others while on-site as a volunteer or picking up a bag. More information regarding the health and safety protocols can be found at https://www.wbtla.org/coronavirus-safety-updates.